Technoswitch celebrates Mandela Day with 3 different initiatives
Written by Technoswitch
This year, we were encouraged to honour our former statesman, Nelson Mandela, and give thanks for his life, his leadership and his devotion to humanity and humanitarian causes by devoting 67 minutes (or more!) of our time to give back to those in need.
Children of Fire is a charity for child burn victims. The Children of Fire Trust was established in 1996 when founder and current director Bronwen Jones realised there was a desperate need for an organisation that could assist young burn survivors. Technoswitch sponsors Children of Fire on a monthly basis however the demand is so great that the Technoswitch Johannesburg staff jumped on board and helped with renovations and improvements at the Children of Fire residence and school during the week of 15 July. Here is a list of the renovations and donations that were made:
- Perimeter wall repaired – Rodman Painters
- Outside perimeter wall painted – Technoswitch staff
- Sidewalk cleaned up – Three Soldiers in the Garden
- Plants for outside garden – Georgina Kettley & Technoswitch staff
- Patio furniture made from pallets for break-out area – Technoswitch staff
- Cushions for the chairs – Julie Freudiger
- Climb frames repaired and repainted – Technoswitch staff
- Breakout area retiled – Rodman Painters & Technoswitch
- Books – Rotary Club Johannesburg New Dawn
- Colourful knitted scarves – Trace-C
- Website for Johannesburg School for Blind, Low Vision & Multiple Disability Children – Technoswitch
- A Magic show, lunch and little gift packs with some essentials for the children
The Durban branch spent their Mandela Day at Bobbi Bear in Amanzimtoti. Bobbi Bear is a human rights organisation committed to helping sexually abused children in Amanzimtoti, Kwa Zulu Natal, South Africa.
The team donated an Ackermans clothing voucher and purchased some much needed groceries for the children. Some of these kids have never had the experience of wearing brand new clothing and with this Ackermans voucher, it will allow these kids to have their very own clothes for the first time. Bobbi Bear is beyond excited to go shopping!
Every child deserves to know what Christmas feels like when there is a special gift waiting – especially just for them. Santa Shoebox aims to distribute as much gift boxes to underprivileged children throughout SA & Namibia as they can collect. Items packed in the boxes are age and gender specific to ensure that each little boy and girl feel extra special when they open their boxes. The Technoswitch Cape Town branch packed gift boxes for as many kids as they could for their Mandela Day contribution.
All of these Non-Profit Organisations are doing amazing and uplifting work in their communities and it was a privilege for Technoswitch to help out, but also humbling to us all to witness the challenges they face each day. It was a wonderful experience to be a part of such a great initiative and we can’t wait to see what next year will have in store for us!